Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Off-road running training session Ilkley 21 Sept

Off-road running training session Ilkley 21 Sept 10 years 8 months ago #1

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Off-road running techniques training session, Ilkley Moor, Saturday 21st September 2013

Meet Darwin Gardens Millennium Green car park for a 1000 start on Saturday the 21st of September

Address: West View Park, Darwin Gardens, Wells Road, Ilkley

Map: mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publication/YS-B...%20Visitor%20Map.pdf

Directions and public transport information: www.bradforddistrictparks.org/sites/parks/parks.php?ID=86

Note: the car park is less than a kilometre from Ilkley railway station.

Kit: please bring your running kit plus a fleece, hat and gloves and full body cover (waterproof top and bottoms). Off road (preferably fell running) shoes are also needed; please ask for advice if you intend to buy some.

This training session will focus on techniques for off-road running, whether cross-country, trail, fell running or fell racing. It is particularly aimed at those new to off-road running, although seasoned fell runners are welcome to share their experience and learn from others. We will consider and practice both up and downhill running, with special emphasis on foot placement, eye/foot coordination, stride, lean and balance – everything to get you running confidently off-road without (too much) fear of crocking yourself. There will be a brief mention of kit for off-road running, particularly footwear. The club organises complementary map and compass skills courses also, look out for information about these on the forum.

Duration: 2 hours, followed by lunch and a drink for those that wish in the Lister Arms, Ilkley: www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-lister-arms
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Off-road running training session Ilkley 21 Sept 10 years 8 months ago #2

• Sara Demaine
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Graham

I'm totally gutted to be missing this Graham! :sick: I'm on holiday and coming back on the day of the session, Would be really interested if there are any plans for another in the future, have a good morning with it,

Sara

Off-road running training session Ilkley 21 Sept 10 years 7 months ago #3

• Jon Prideaux
Hi all

As you already know Graeme tiffany is taking a fell running coaching session on 21st of sept. I hope many of you can attend.

Graeme's knowledge and experience is extensive and covers many years to which i have personally benefited myself when i first came to club in 2005. When i joined i could compete with the nigel armatages and james clarks of the club on road, but soon as things moved to our cross country league i lost 5-6 minuts on the likes of james and nigel. But i did not throw in the towel but looked and asked about in the club to find idears to solve my fitness deficit.

Thats when i started talking to Graeme who had seen my competing on the cross country and saw a degree of potential, but also problems especially with my hill running.

Taking onboard Graeme's advice both in training and tatics i gradually improved from a top 40 position to a top 5 position which took three seasons of commitment. As with my own developement the clubs collective knowledge is extensive and diverse, dont be afraid to ask!

jon prideaux...

Off-road running training session Ilkley 21 Sept 10 years 7 months ago #4

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Jon Prideaux wrote:
Taking on board Graeme's advice both in training and tactics, I gradually improved from a top 40 position to a top 5 position which took three seasons of commitment.

Ah, we'd put that down to you meeting Nicola ;)

Good luck with the session, can't make the date unfortunately. I wish, when I were a lad like you, someone had taught me how to run down hills properly.

Off-road running training session Ilkley 21 Sept 10 years 7 months ago #5

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Follow-on session from Saturday's off-road running training session?

Opportunity to learn some map-reading skills.

If you can cope with any more, or want to come specifically, there is an informal orienteering event organised by Airienteers from the same venue at 1230. Courses are suitable for novices and advice / coaching will be available.

See: www.aire.org.uk/ClubDocs/2013/o-lite_wharfedale_2013_flyer.pdf for the flier.

Off-road running training session Ilkley 21 Sept 10 years 7 months ago #6

• Tim Ayres
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Graeme
Many thanks to you and Darryl for running this training session. Also thanks to John M for coming out to play the "marker man" role. I found it very useful in explaining the mechanics of trail and fell running and reinforcing the messages you and others have been giving out in club training sessions. If you are running any related or follow on sessions in the future, I am keen to attend.
Regards
Tim
TimA
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Training Off-road running training session Ilkley 21 Sept