Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 4 months ago #13

• Darryl Stead
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 324
I think we're proving the point that there's all sorts of different approaches.

I think a monthly 5K works but every week it is probably junk training - plus you'd probably want to drop the 5K in the peak weeks to manage the overall load your puttnig on yourself. If you've rested Fri, then would make sense to do long run sat and incorporate park run into it.

You dont necessarily need to run very long distances to find out how it feels to hit the wall. You can hit the wall after 10 miles or less if you do a run but in the day before it don't eat any carbs so you're starting on empty from a carbs perspective and have to rely on fat much earlier. This also trains up the fat burning energy system so your body is more efficient and converting it into fuel in the race. Chrissie Wellington is an advocate of this type of training (2:48 Ironman marathon!). A massive part of the race is mental, when the wheels fall off it is all in the head to keep it together so deliberately putting yourself in this type of situation in training is really useful - gives you experience and something to draw from in the race.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 4 months ago #14

• James Cantwell
interesting comments, and all useful ammunition to be used when starting trainining for a marathon. obviously you need a level of fitness to complete a marathon, but how you wish to complete it, is the decider how fit you should be,i.e: do you just want to complete it and say DONE THAT, or do you want to go for the best possible time which is with in you?. Personally i didnt really train that hard for vlm12 or the recent dublin marathon, not that i think that im super fit, but what i did believe i have and still do,is to have a strong mental approach . its is equally important if not more, if that thing inside your skull says thats it, GAME OVER, then game over it is no matter how fit you are, so yes plenty of training is important, but sort your skull out as well or it wont happen. If you have a strong mind your 3/4 of the way there. which means you dont need to give up any of the naughty stuff in life, Beer/ Currys, need i say more

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 4 months ago #15

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Andrew Byrom wrote:
Any idea why I can't upload a file?

Hi Andrew, sorry for the delay, the files apparently need to be of certain formats, jpg/gif/png etc. for images and txt/rtf/pdf etc. for other files. I tried to upload an xls file but it wouldn't go.

If the file you want to post still has relevance and you can't change the format, send it to me and I'll have a go and upload it with a link.
Last Edit: 11 years 4 months ago by John Pop.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 4 months ago #16

• Andrew Byrom
John Pop wrote:
Andrew Byrom wrote:
Any idea why I can't upload a file?

Hi Andrew, sorry for the delay, the files apparently need to be of certain formats, jpg/gif/png etc. for images and txt/rtf/pdf etc. for other files. I tried to upload an xls file but it wouldn't go.

If the file you want to post still has relevance and you can't change the format, send it to me and I'll have a go and upload it with a link.

Well that explains it then. I'll use *.pdf in future, thanks.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 3 months ago #17

• Andrew Byrom
I've had a change of heart and decided that if i'm going to run 26.2 miles I may as well try and raise some money for a good cause. As such I've decided to support the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, who saved a friends life following a car crash (it's was featured on Helicopter Hero's). Anyway if you want to donate you can here:

http://www.justgiving.com/andrewbyrom

Thanks.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 2 weeks ago #18

• Andrew Hardaker
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
Anyone still doing this? :whistle:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Racing Other Races Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013