Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Brecon Beacons Walk Suggestions and Mapsites

Brecon Beacons Walk Suggestions and Mapsites 9 years 9 months ago #1

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Does anybody know any decent scenic, hilly-but-not-severe-climbing, walking routes with pubs in the vicinity (5 to 15 km ish) in the north-eastern part of the Brecon Beacons? Will be based just outside Aberhonddu itself (Brecon), but we are willing to drive half an hour or so and curb the drinking.

Also any good websites showing free mapping of the area?
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by John Pop.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brecon Beacons Walk Suggestions and Mapsites 9 years 9 months ago #2

• Tim Ayres
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi John

It's 30 years ago but I used to get across to the Brecon Beacons quite regularly when I worked in Malvern. I can remember doing two really good (but long-ish) walks as follows:-
1. Brecon along the canal to Talybont. Up through the plantations on the south east side of Talybont reservoir. Drop down to Abercynafon. Up towards Beacons main ridge via Blaen Y Glyn waterfalls to Bwlch y Ddwyallt (this bit was really off the beaten track and might make a good walk in itself). North off the main ridge along country lanes via Cantref and Cefn Cantref back to Brecon.
2. Brecon via country lanes to the ridge up to Crybin, Fan y Big and Pen y Fan and back down one of the other ridges.

You can't go to Brecon and not do some part of no. 2. The north-south ridges are spectacular!
:)
I recall there were decent pubs in Pencelli and Talybont (both on the canal). Brecon wasn't too badly off for pubs as well.

You might also want to get across to the north west face of the Black Mountains to the east; Hay Bluff across to Twmpa and the ridges above Talgarth. You might get buzzed by gliders slope soaring from Talgarth gliding club. They can really tuck into the hillsides.

No joy on map web sites. I used 1:25000 OS maps; separate ones for the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains.

Have fun
Tim
TimA
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Pop

Brecon Beacons Walk Suggestions and Mapsites 9 years 9 months ago #3

• Neil Wallace
Not been since did a Navigation Course there in mid-noughties... mate suggested this site, though:
www.breconbeacons.org/walking

NtS
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Neil Wallace.

Brecon Beacons Walk Suggestions and Mapsites 9 years 9 months ago #4

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
I've got maps of the BBs if you want to borrow them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Pop

Brecon Beacons Walk Suggestions and Mapsites 9 years 9 months ago #5

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Thanks very much Tim. At such short notice, I didn't expect such a long detailed informative answer.
;) This more than makes up for you running last week's vets' race in last year's number. D'oops, sorry, the cat's out of the bag now :ohmy:

As it happened we did do some of your second suggestion, parked along the Talybont to Pencelli road and did a circuit involving Craig y Fan Ddu, Fan y Big and Crybin (just to keep Bernard happy).

Thanks Tiff, for the offer of maps, but as you see, I only left my post while late in the day, and we are back home already. With better planning I would have posted earlier and obtained my own maps, cheers.
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Miscellaneous Brecon Beacons Walk Suggestions and Mapsites