Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Machine washing shoes

Machine washing shoes 9 years 11 months ago #13

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Hmm Graeme, spoken like a true experienced runner, and as such, I bet you don't do half the things you provide as tips to others ;)

But, like most other folk in the club, I don't want to get into a long debate with you. Imelda would surely just buy at least a new pair for every race.

And...Graeme Tiffany wrote:
...Pack with newspaper and leave to dry somewhere where the air circulates and never near or on a radiator...
caught you! Good job you edited your original message, I was envisaging the shoes reading the paper, while you went for a "drive" somewhere cool to escape the stale air.

Jó Napot!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Machine washing shoes 9 years 11 months ago #14

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Dear Big Brother and Observer and Catcher of all (is nothing private any more?),

I'm not debating. And you'd be surprised; I certainly do as I suggested.

If only I was as systematic with regard to other things in my life. Although I tend to be with editing also.

Imelda, then, would not benefit from shoes wearing in somewhat ...

Jenky,

George O.

Machine washing shoes 9 years 11 months ago #15

• Neil Wallace
Thanks for ALL the comments...

I did hand wash, without soap, taking care to remove insoles and even using a toothbrush (the grit has also helped remove stubborn fruit peel from back molars). Still bit whiffy, mind, but looked great for at least the first 50 metres of the Lochaber marathon monsoon :blink:

I'm grateful for the wise words and I won't put any 'gutties' through the washing machine. Maintaining the structural integrity of a 100 quid pair of shoes is important stuff. More accurately, value for money is very close to a Scotsman's heart (also known as his wallet) :dry:

Not ever (financially or ethically) going to be in a position to buy, wear, clean, dry and rotate several pairs of shoes to be honest. Sounds impressive, though - obviously I'm not taking this running malarkey seriously enough. I'll take myself off to a dark room and have a word.

NtS

Machine washing shoes 9 years 11 months ago #16

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
My suggestion of buying and circulating multiple pairs of shoes seems to me to have a very reasonable financial and ethical basis to it. Ultimately, it means shoes last longer, thereby one needs to purchase fewer of them: less cost / fewer of the planet's resources used. Add to this the health benefits - your knees (and the NHS) will thank-you for it - and the case seems sound (a case perhaps of more is less)?

TtS
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Graeme Tiffany.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neil Wallace

Machine washing shoes 9 years 11 months ago #17

• Neil Wallace
I did learn from some of your cleaning advice, Graeme. And my ethical stance is not an environmental one - although I acknowledge your point - but more that it seems a little extravagant? One road, one trail, one fell seems ridiculous enough...

NtS

Machine washing shoes 9 years 11 months ago #18

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
Surely, all things environmental are ethical? Eo ipso all ethical stances imply an environmental stance, even if only to adopt one disregarding of it. Furthermore, extravagance seems to me antonymic of the thrift-based position I propose. One fork, one knife, one spoon? Perhaps a tea spoon also. Or a spork, in which case the OMM's out (rules stipulate minimum 5mm studs). That said, I ran a marathon once when a lad passed me in the home straight wearing Walshes.
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Miscellaneous Machine washing shoes