Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: It's a long way on the Pennine Way

It's a long way on the Pennine Way 8 years 8 months ago #1

• Young Arthur
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
I soon realised I could not get near to the course record of 2 days 17 hours and 20 minutes, and took a more relaxed time of 20 days to get to the Scottish borders for my free half of beer.
Anyone else done the walk ? If so,what's your memory of the Pennine way.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

It's a long way on the Pennine Way 8 years 8 months ago #2

• Young Arthur
  • Junior Boarder
Well if no one from the pacers can can beat my time of 20 days, I could be this years champion. The course record was set in the 80s,just when John Pop was in his prime. Could he have been a pacemaker.?
If anyone fancies the walk,I have the maps and a brilliant book to help find the route,accommodation,camp sites,transport,food outlets, etc
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Woodhead

It's a long way on the Pennine Way 8 years 8 months ago #3

• Karen Fawcett
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 81
Hope you enjoyed your walk.

Lovely to see your cheery face last night

It's a long way on the Pennine Way 8 years 8 months ago #4

• Steve Boom
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi Arthur

I did the Pennine Way over 2 years, a week each year, although we only got as far as Hadrian's Wall. It was very relaxed walking usually involving tea/cakes/beer through the day!

I've done plenty of the national walks over the last 15 years but I thought the PW was the best. I especially liked the Edale to Horton section (year 1). High Cup Nick was the highlight of year 2.

Discovering Cross Fell was also pretty special given I'd passed it many times on the A66 and wondered where/what it was.

We stayed in pubs and B&Bs along the way and found everyone to be friendly and genuinely interested in our progress.

I had fancied run/walking it this year over 9 days (30m a day) with shazza but injury put pay to that. Also I think it defeats the point of the PW.

Can highly recommend it to anyone. Also look at Cumbria Way, Pembrokeshire Coastal Walk, Hadrian's Wall, Abbey Way (a little known walk from Otley to Whitby) and of course the Coast to Coast.

It's a long way on the Pennine Way 8 years 8 months ago #5

• Young Arthur
  • Junior Boarder
Done the Pennine way, Coast to Coast, Dales way, Hadrian's wall, all backpacking.
Had a bad day on Cross Fell, it was dry and bright in the valley, but at 1000 ft it was another world,rain,high winds blowing me sideways, 10 yards visibility much colder. The village hall in the next valley had a bunk room which I shared with a lad doing the coast to Coast cycle route in 2 days, he had seen no rain at all. All my stuff was laid about drying and smelling like a cesspit.

It's a long way on the Pennine Way 8 years 8 months ago #6

• Tim Ayres
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Did the Coast to Coast backpacking in 1983. One of the best holidays I've ever had!
TimA
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Miscellaneous It's a long way on the Pennine Way