Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: nutrition for sustained performance

nutrition for sustained performance 9 years 1 month ago #1

Hello Pacers,
Unlike Joy I’m not really one for the social media, but I have recently come across something that I think will be of interest to many of you especially those keen on torturing yourselves by running silly distances (i.e. any distance greater than 6.2 miles). I expect some of you may have come across it as it has been available in the US for a couple of years. It is not just another sports energy concoction that messes with your gut and causes sugar highs and consequential slumps, which I’m sure we all know are best left on Asda’s shelf. It is made by a small company, the owners of which, (a team of scientists) developed the product to treat Glycogen Storage Disease a very rare congenital disorder, a baby born with GSD cannot release glycogen (the storage form of energy) from its liver, which used to result in death.
GSD babies are now being successfully treated with this product which is described as a “hydrothermally modified starch” HMS is a giant glucose polymer up to 2,000 times larger than any other simple or complex carb, in effect it is a (very slow) time release glucose which has little or no impact on blood sugar and therefore no resultant rush of insulin, is easily and rapidly absorbed with no gastrointestinal impact.
A sports nutritionist came across HMS and realised that this substance is exactly what was needed to overcome the basic problem athletes encounter of not being able to access energy from fat cells whilst processing carbs (because fat cells cannot be unlocked when insulin is present in the blood). Tests were carried out on some top cyclists, a new company was formed and now HMS is available to sports men and women.
What this means, say for a marathon runner, is that by not taking carbs on board they will be able to cruise on energy from fat cells all day if necessary without hitting “the wall” or risking hypoglycaemia and yet always have glycogen available for a steep hill or a sprint finish.
Below is a link to the website of Dr Peter Attia, the video lasts for an hour and I urge you to watch it to improve understanding of how your body manages and utilises energy. If what some top coaches and sports people are saying about it is true it could change your running for ever.

eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nutrition/i...o-superstarch-part-i

David Elliott
The administrator has disabled public write access.

nutrition for sustained performance 9 years 1 month ago #2

• Luke McQuade
I've sent off for some samples, which should be in the post now. I'm planning on trying it out at Rombald's on Saturday and will let you know how I get on with it.

nutrition for sustained performance 9 years 1 month ago #3

• Adam Graves
Cheers David, sounds like it's worth a try.

Luke: how did you send off for the samples? Couldn't find anything about samples on the site.

nutrition for sustained performance 9 years 1 month ago #4

• Luke McQuade
David spoke to me earlier about the stuff, here's the link to the samples...
www.generationucan.co.uk/Sample_Pack_Ple...230363_13605197.aspx

I ordered on Sunday (£4.21 inc. 1st class post) and they have just turned up.

nutrition for sustained performance 9 years 1 month ago #5

Hi Luke
Did the UCAN samples come with directions for use? I think it’s important to reiterate for all Pacers who may be considering trying Generation UCAN that this is NOT an energy supplement, it won’t give you a noticeable rush of energy like that experienced from some drinks and gels. It works by dramatically reducing the release of glycogen from the liver, forcing you to use fat as an energy source. How efficient you are at switching to fat-burning mode will depend on how used you are to doing it. So if you have constantly trained on Carbs replenishing several times during your activity, you may not have become used to switching and it may take a little time for your body to get used to it. If you are not used to running in a Carb depleted state I would be very careful using this product for the first time especially in a 23 mile race. However the advantages of being able to run on energy from fat are so good that it has got to be worth the effort. One obvious advantage that I haven’t mentioned yet is that if you are overweight and you can use fat for fuel you will become leaner and lighter, and reducing your weight will make you quicker (I read approximately 2 seconds a mile for each pound of fat lost). It should be noted also that to use fat for fuel it is necessary for the liver to produce ketones, this state is known as Ketosis, this is Nutritional Ketosis and is a perfectly normal condition it happens every night when you sleep and must not be confused with Diabetic Ketoacidosis which is life threatening.
Below is an extract from a series of posts by Peter Attia, M.D. and a link to a post on his experience of switching to a low carb diet.
Recommend him to all interested in sports nutrition
David Elliott.

The goal of any endurance athlete is to derive as much energy as possible from fat, rather than glycogen, for a given level of exertion.  Why?  I’ll be doing a series on this in great detail in the next few months, but for now consider this: we can store about 1,200 to 1,600 calories worth of glycogen versus 100,000 calories of fat.  Furthermore, replacing glycogen during training/competing is full of problems.  Hence, you want to “spare” glycogen for only those times when it is essential (i.e., when you are anaerobically active) and use fat as much as possible when you can afford to (i.e., when you are aerobically active).
eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-af...athletic-performance

nutrition for sustained performance 9 years 1 month ago #6

• Luke McQuade
David Elliott wrote:
Hi Luke
Did the UCAN samples come with directions for use? I think it’s important to reiterate for all Pacers who may be considering trying Generation UCAN that this is NOT an energy supplement, it won’t give you a noticeable rush of energy like that experienced from some drinks and gels. It works by dramatically reducing the release of glycogen from the liver, forcing you to use fat as an energy source. How efficient you are at switching to fat-burning mode will depend on how used you are to doing it.

Yup, it came with directions. I'm not running on Saturday now, but my plan was to have a portion 30 mins before the start, then just see what happens without refuelling en-route.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Miscellaneous nutrition for sustained performance