Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tour of Pendle - Sat 23rd Nov

Tour of Pendle - Sat 23rd Nov 10 years 6 months ago #1

• Neil Wallace
'16 miles and nearly 5000ft of ascent in a mistly, boggy bubble...'; 'Like 'nam, only worse...'; 'Most fell folk [sic] try this race once and as soon as they’ve recovered and are able to talk properly, swear a solemn vow never (ever) to return'.

Just a few of the many quotes I've discovered on the tinterweb - would anyone with mudclaw experience of this AL race like to endorse or warn me away?

NtS
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tour of Pendle - Sat 23rd Nov 10 years 6 months ago #2

• Steve Boom
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I had a crack at this 2 years ago. I was warned numerous times beforehand by the 'mountain goat' himself (Nigel Craven) to prep for it. Me being blasé just rolled up with a bacon buttie inside me from some 2 hours before and I paid the price! It was the first time I'd 'bonked' and boy does it live with me.

So I'd say definitely do the race, we had a fantastic day, the atmosphere was great and the views were amazing. The amount of ascent comes from going up and down the hill 6 times!

In fact, I'm starting to think I should exorcise the demons!!

Tour of Pendle - Sat 23rd Nov 10 years 6 months ago #3

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Legend has it, the Tour of Pendle is best done riding a witch's broom. Sharon, have you any thoughts? :)

Tour of Pendle - Sat 23rd Nov 10 years 6 months ago #4

• Luke McQuade
This one's in my diary. Was planning on doing 2 x 8 mile reccies over a weekend or something, probably walking.

Tour of Pendle - Sat 23rd Nov 10 years 6 months ago #5

• Jenny Cooper
i was just looking at this one as need something to aim for - is it marked or easy to follow Steve ? I also noted it has cut off times at CP4 - going to consider it.

Tour of Pendle - Sat 23rd Nov 10 years 6 months ago #6

• James Clark
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
I too, did it with Nigel Craven one year, and struggled to keep up with him.

It's probably the hardest (and most hated) race I've ever done: the ascents are steep and the decents simply not runnable in quite a lot of places. You really need to put in the legwork beforehand as even though it's only 16 miles, it's not a race you can turn up to unprepared.

From memory it's partially flagged, but gets a big(ish) crowd so there will be people to follow.

Anyway, I've entered this year's race so I'll be there.
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Racing Fell & Trail Races Tour of Pendle - Sat 23rd Nov