Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis 9 years 1 month ago #1

• Neil Wallace
Any Pacers done this previously, and care to share horror stories or nuggets of advice?

NtS
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ben Nevis 9 years 1 month ago #2

• David Byrom
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
NtS you are my hero, you must be mad
Reformed runner after brush with mortality at London 2010, aspirations now set much lower, spend most of my time running with Finn in the Valley

Ben Nevis 9 years 1 month ago #3

• Neil Wallace
Why? 9miles/ 4400' ascent: which is approx 1000'/ mile. Apparently, the race starts at the summit... :blink:

Ben Nevis 9 years 1 month ago #4

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
6 Sep 1986, two weeks after I'd done Burnsall Classic in 19 min and the Bradford to Leeds 10 in 64 min.

'Twas a sunny day, although a little mist reported at the top. The race was 16 km with 1340 m of ascent (metricized for those who went to school in the '60s onwards).

The race was won by Scots hillrunning expert Colin* Donnelly in 1:25:48, he finishing just 8 min before yours truly (before yours truly got to the summit that is). The views were fantastic and I admit stopping a few times to (have a rest and) admire those views. As I approached the summit the mist unfortunately was getting too heavy to see anything other than descending runners running towards me and, if I wasn't quick enough to move out of the way, hurdling over my head.

My own descent took 57 mins, lots of it on my bum, and when I got to tarmac for the last km or so my legs nearly buckled with the sudden transfer to solid ground. Only did it for the experience, and enjoyed that, as well as the atmosphere and bridies and heavy later on. Finished in 2:26:57, 412th out of 483 crazy runners, and THAT was when I could finish in the top 15% of most road races!
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by John Pop. Reason: *Orig. put Chris: used to work with a Chris Donelly, durr!
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds